NOTE: If you’re just now joining us for the Flower Power Sew-Along, please click here to sign up for the sew-along. When you sign up, you’ll receive the downloadable patterns and you’ll be entered for a chance to win a HUSQVARNA® VIKING® EPIC™ 980Q Sewing Machine.
FLOWER POWER SEW-ALONG LESSON 4
PRESENTED BY HUSQVARNA® VIKING® & CLASSIC SEWING MAGAZINE
DESIGNED BY ALICIA WELCHER, Assistant Editor, Classic Sewing Magazine
Welcome to Week 4 of our Sew-Along! This week, we will create and attach the bands that embellish the lower edges of each garment. The bands for the Sleeveless Top and the A-Line Skirt are both attached in the same manner. The Capri Pants have a folded band that creates the hem.
All seam allowances = 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
IDF = Integrated Dual Feed system
SLEEVELESS TOP AND A-LINE SKIRT
1. Locate the front and back bands. Place them right sides together and stitch one side seam. Finish the seam by serger or zigzag and press toward the front.
2. Stitch both side seams of the top/skirt. Finish the seams by serger or zigzag and press toward the back.
3. Locate piping and check that seam allowance has been trimmed to 1/4″.
4. Place the piping to the upper raw edge of the band, aligning the raw edges of the piping with the raw edge of the band.
5. Attach a mini piping foot, disengage the IDF, and stitch the piping to the band (Photo 1). Remove 3⁄8” of piping cord from each end of piping. Stitch the second side seam of the band as before.
6. Fold the piping to the wrong side of the band so that the piping is at the uppermost edge of the band (Photo 2).
7. Glue the rickrack to the back of the piping with the valleys of the rickrack aligned with the top edge of the piping (Photo 3). At the beginning of the rickrack, fold the raw edge to the wrong side 1/4″. At the end of the rickrack, overlap about 1/4″. Let dry.
8. Place the band to the lower edge of the top/skirt, right side of band to wrong side of top/skirt and aligning the lower raw edges and the side seams.
9. Stitch the band to the top/skirt along the lower edge only.
10. Press the band away from the top/skirt and the seam allowance toward the top/skirt. Understitch the seam allowance to the top/skirt.
11. On the skirt only, clean finish the top raw edge by serger or zigzag.
12. Fold band toward the top/skirt with seam allowance sandwiched between the band and the top/skirt. Allow the band to extend slightly below the top/skirt. Press well and pin in place.
13. Attach the Edge-Joining foot for IDF and engage the IDF. Select a center straight stitch (SL=2.5).
14. Stitch in the ditch of the piping where it meets the band by keeping the flange in the center of the foot aligned in the ditch (Photo 4). The IDF system will help all of the various layers feed evenly so that you will not wind up with a pucker at the end.
1. Place a Pant Front to a Pant Back, right sides together, and stitch the side seam. Repeat for the other leg.
2. Locate piping and check that seam allowance has been trimmed to 1/4″.
3. Glue the rickrack to the back of the piping with the valleys of the rickrack aligned with the top edge of the piping (Photo 5). Let dry.
4. Place the piping to the lower edge of each leg, wrong side of piping to right side of leg and aligning the raw edges. The rickrack will be sandwiched between the piping and the leg.
5. Attach a mini piping foot, disengage the IDF, and stitch the piping/rickrack to each leg (Photo 6). Remove 3⁄8” of piping cord from each end of the piping.
6. Fold the pants band in half, wrong sides together, and press well (fig. 1).
7. Center the band to the right side of the leg, aligning all raw edges. The piping/rickrack will be sandwiched between the band and the leg.
8. With the band on the bottom, stitch the band to the leg following the existing line of stitching (fig. 2).
9. Trim the extensions of the band even with the sides of the legs (fig. 3).
10. Repeat steps 6 through 9 to attach a band to the lower edge of the other leg.
Join us next Wednesday, May 27, for lesson 5 of the Flower Power Sew-Along!